Safes are used to keep valuables secure. People have been using safes for centuries. Do you know how long the safes have been around? The oldest safe was found in the pyramid of pharaoh Ramesses in the 13th century. The safe was made of wood and had a pin-tumbler locking mechanism.
Well, it was a pretty outstanding invention back more than 3000 years. That is obvious; everything changes with time, so security safes also vary. It has been said that British engineer William Marr invented the first modern security safe. Then the British started manufacturing safes with excellent features in the 19th century.
Today, security safes can secure all valuables. Safes have become very common and are present in every house over time. But still, some people do not purchase safes; read on to know why you must invest in a safe. Also, know the types and their use.
Why should you have a safe in your house?
Crimes are prevalent nowadays, such as burglaries, so it is essential to keep your important stuff or property protected; that’s why you must invest in a home safe. So, when you go for a vacation or away from home, you feel better thinking that your assets are safe in the house in your absence.
Also, if trespassers attack your home, they will be unable to find valuables. Here are the reasons you must purchase a home safe:
- Security: The top reason for having a home safe is theft protection. Usually, intruders search for valuable stuff in the bedroom, beneath the mattress, drawers, and closet. So, it is best to make hiding spots and utilize a safe. These safes are easier to conceal and do not attract unwanted concentration. You can install them on the floor, wall, inside the wardrobe, under the floor, and more. Fixed safes are not movable and need many times to open while prying, so intruders are in a hurry and do not have time.
- Fire protection: Many properties and valuables have been damaged over time due to fire. So, you must prepare yourself to handle these threats. When a fire explodes, it ruins everything. But luckily, fireproof home safes have been invented that ensure the survival of valuables and keep them unburnt. The fire rating is included in every safe. If the rating is high, the safe offers a higher level of protection against fire.
- Versatility: Home safes are available in different types and varieties, and they can store everything, such as money, valuable items, guns, important documents, medicines, jewelry, and much more. Some home safes are disaster-resistant, so choose one according to your needs. Also, safes have different locking mechanisms, including mechanical combination locks, biometric locks, time delay combination locks, traditional key locks, electronic combination locks, and time locks.
- Flood protection: Home safes are water-resistant, meaning water cannot enter the safe. Suppose you live in an area where flood is common. In that case, you must consider this factor because if water enters the safe, it will destroy all your valuables, especially papers and other items that are sensitive to corrosion. You must have to care. Also, the safes are totally not water-resistance. They can withstand the water at some level.
- Peace of mind: This thought provides peace of mind that your valuables are safe. It might be an excellent benefit to own a safe. Also, you do not have to worry about keeping valuables secure from fire, flood, and intruders. So, home safe is one of the best solutions that offer versatile storage for your precious possessions.
Tips on choosing a high-quality home safe
Here are some tips on choosing a home safe:
- Before you purchase a safe, you must consider the size. Think about the items you want to place in the safe such as money, jewelry, guns, or other items. Also, it would be best to buy a bigger safe because you will definitely find other important stuff to keep in.
- Check the safe rating for water, fire, and money. Go for a higher rating safe because it is more protected. It is an essential factor to consider. For instance, if a safe is a 3000$ cash rated, then you can store 30000$ cash in it because it covers ten times of money. Also, the fire and water rating is usually one hour to save the valuables. Also, place the valuables in a waterproof bag before putting them in the safe.
- A locking mechanism is also essential for a safe. Like if you lost the keys, duplicating them can be pricy. So, if you want a key-free safe, you must buy a combination safe with passcodes and other ways to unlock it.
- Choose a safe that fits your budget. Different safes are available at different prices. If you buy a low-price safe, that means it lacks important features. Remember that you pay for the safe once, which will last a long time. So, do not put the price on your needs. So, it is a long-term, time purchase.
Different types of Home Safes
Homes safes are available in different shapes, sizes, and types, such as wall safes, free-standing safes, gun safes, floor safes, fire-resistant safes, and diversion safes. So, you must know which one is suitable for your home. Let’s discuss their types in uses in detail:
Wall safes are small in size and fit in less space. Usually, these safes are mounted on the wall by studs that make them immovable. You can also hide these safes behind the paintings, sliding panels, or shelves. So, these are ideal for keeping your items hidden. Typically, wall safes store small valuables such as money, documents, etc.
It is the most common and inexpensive type of safe in all sizes, from small to large. These safes weigh more than two tons. Free-standing safes are fire-resistance and heavy, so intruders cannot steal the safe. You can also bolt them on the floor. These safes are not convenient to conceal, but still, some experts can.
There are also safes available that are made to store guns and other weapons. Gun safes have different styles and sizes and can store several sizes of firearms, including rifles. These safes hide guns from children, intruders, and other unauthorized access.
Some gun safes have a biometric locking mechanism to make them more secure. Also, these are fire and waterproof. So, gun safes are best for storing guns.
As the name shows, floor safes are mounted on concrete floors. So, these are sturdy and difficult to steal by intruders. Also, you can hide this safe under furniture and carpet. The downside is that floor safe have a low water-resistance rating, so water will fill the safe if a flood comes into your home.
Fire-resistance safes are specially made to keep valuables safe from fire. They can bear extreme heat and flames and also deter burglars. The higher rating safe offers higher protection from fire. Typically, the rating is decided by timing and degrees of heat that a safe can bear. So, if you have a budget, go for it.
Diversion safes are a box that store valuable, and you can hide them on a bookshelf. These are small safes and do not get the attention of thieves. So, these are best for storing money, keys, jewelry, or small guns.
What things can you store in a home safe?
There are many several things you can store in a home safe. Here take a look:
- Money: It is risky to keep a lot of money on hand. Either keep it in the bank or a safe for regular use.
- Guns: Usually, intruders loot guns and utilize them for crimes. So, it is a good idea to lock them in a safe, especially when you have children. You must not want your gun in a kid’s hand. So, be a responsible person.
- Important documents: Your important data might also steal. You must keep your documents in a secure safe, including passports, bank statements, house papers, credit cards, birth certificates, and other crucial stuff. Also, keep them protected from floods and fire.
- Jewelry: You must keep your jewels in a secure place rather than in a common area, such as watches, precious rings, necklaces, and other expensive things.
- Medicines: Keep your prescribed medication safe because thieves target them. Also, keeping your medicines away from children so safe is the best idea.
Different Home Safes with budgets
As the home safe is very crucial in a home to save valuables, so they are available at different prices and types in the market. Also, if you invest in a safe, you must purchase a dehumidifier because moisture can destroy your items in the safe. It is best to go for a dehumidifier to prevent moisture in-home safe.
Moisture can cause rust on guns and mold in safes and documents. So, it is better to make plans to avoid condensation in the home safe. You can use a safe dehumidifier according to your needs because every size is available in the market for both prices.
Fireproof Gun Safe under $400
Many of you might think that buying a fireproof gun safe is like paying a hefty amount of money. Yeah, that’s true that gun safes are more expensive than other home accessories because we store our guns such as handguns, small guns, or rifles to keep away from burglars and children. Many fireproof gun safes are available at different prices that fit your budget.
Also, different brands offer different fireproof gun safes with extra features, durable materials, and long-lasting life. So, fireproof gun safes are present for under $400 in the market. You can take full advantage of these fireproof gun safes.
Benefits of fireproof gun safe
Here are the benefits of a fireproof gun safe:
- A fireproof gun safe is an excellent shelter against intruders or fire.
- You can also store jewelry and documents in the fireproof gun safe.
- Guns are very costly, so keeping these accessories in fireproof guns safe is crucial.
- Your firearms will be in the right shape for years.
- Fireproof gun safes also store money to prevent them from burning.
- Fireproof gun safes also lower insurance rates.
Gun safes for sale
As a responsible gun owner, it is your duty to keep your guns in a secure place away from children or thieves. The time is gone when you display your firearms in a glass cabinet. Also, in some countries such as California, punishment has been announced if you do not place your gun in a secure area. So, it is better to put your weapons in a gun safe.
Many gun safes for sale are on the market. You can choose according to your needs and budget. Also can save other accessories rather than guns. If you cannot afford an expensive gun safe, you must look for gun safes in sales.
Some advice to invest in a gun safe
Here is some advice for investing in a gun safe:
- The main things in a safe are its features and layout.
- Decide the entry method before going for a gun safe such as a keypad, dial, password, biometric, etc. In my point, the most reliable entry method is a dial or keypad.
- Select a higher fire rating gun safe. The time is given to the gun safe to protect the things from temperature.
- The gun safe must be customizable and have vast storage.
Best Dehumidifier for Gun Safe in Garage
If you have a gun safe, you must invest in a dehumidifier to protect your gun from humidity or moisture. Humidity happens due to changes in temperature, such as in the garage; the temperature varies day and night, also by season. It does not matter if you place your gun safe in the house. You still need to control the humidity inside the safe.
If you do not buy a dehumidifier, you’ll regret it because your guns and safes will get rust badly. Also, a putrid odor will present in the gun safe, which is both dangerous for gun safe and guns. Many types and sizes of dehumidifiers are out on the market. Choose one according to your requirements.
Advantages of dehumidifier
Here are the advantages of a dehumidifier:
- Dehumidifiers absorb all excess moisture from the air, and the people who are allergic to dust take advantage of them. So, dehumidifiers help with allergies.
- These also increase comfort. For instance, if you are sitting in a room with a temperature of 80 degrees and humidity is 30 percent, and another person is sitting in a room with a temperature of 80 degrees, and humidity is 90 percent, the other person will feel more comfortable than you because low humidity gives comfort even in maximum temperature. So, a dehumidifier provides you more comfort.
- Dehumidifiers prevent the dust mite in the air.
- These stop condensation.
- The electronics are safe due to the dehumidifier.
- Dehumidifiers eradicate smells and odors.
- They disturb the growth of mold.
- Dehumidifier improves the atmosphere.
- Dehumidifiers are easy to use and portable.
Disadvantages of dehumidifier
Here are the disadvantages of dehumidifier:
- Some dehumidifiers produce noise and heat.
- Electric dehumidifiers increase energy bills.
- Dehumidifiers need regular maintenance.